New Delhi: Chinese soldiers crossed the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Ladakh division of Jammu and Kashmir last week after some Tibetans hoisted Tibetan flags on the occasion of Dalai Lama’s birthday, security officials said on Friday.The officials in the know said several PLA personnel drove in their SUV’s into Koyul village in Demchok sector, located close to the LAC, on July 6 and lodged a protest over hoisting of the Tibetan flags by the refugees settled there. Also Read – How a psychopath killer hid behind the mask of a devout laity!They, however, said since the LAC was not demarcated properly for decades, this has led to differing perceptions of it by India and China. There was another version of the incident on the LAC with South Block sources saying the Chinese personnel, who were in “civilian clothes”, did not cross the LAC but showed banners that read “Ban all activities to split Tibet”. “On July 6, some 11 Chinese in civilian clothes arrived in two vehicles when the Ladakhi villagers were celebrating Dalai Lama’s birthday. They then showed them banners and waited there for 30-40 minutes but did not cross the Line of Actual Control,” the sources said. The Tibetans were celebrating the 84th birthday of the Dalai Lama. Also Read – Encounter under way in Pulwama, militant killedIndia and China share a disputed border and the armies of the two countries were engaged in a stand-off for 73 days in 2017 in Doklam. Security officials said that the officers on both sides decided to resolve the matter amicably. Indian army personnel were also present at the spot and did not allow the Chinese soldiers to proceed any further, the officials said. The PLA personnel entered 1.5 km into the Indian territory, they said. Earlier, the officials claimed that the Chinese soldiers had entered 5 km. After a couple of hours, the Chinese troops returned to their side following an assurance by Indian army officials that they would look into the action by the refugees. There have been also reports of Chinese soldiers stopping the shepherds from grazing their sheeps in Demchok sector.
“I am appalled by these attacks and I am in solidarity with the victims and their families in this tragedy. I strongly condemn the statement by video of the supposed leader of Boko Haram, which claimed that the abducted girls be sold, possibly for forced marriages, “said Leila Zerrougui, Special Representative for Children and Armed Conflict, in a press release.Ms. Zerrougui said she and the Special Representative of the Secretary-General on Sexual Violence in Conflict, Zainab Hawa Bangura, the Executive Director of UN Women, Phumzile Mlambo- Nqcuka, and the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Navi Pillay, had contacted the Nigerian Government to urge it to redouble efforts to secure the release of these girls.”In the coming days, I will continue the dialogue with the Government of Nigeria. I welcome the commitment of world leaders and I call on the international community to support the Government of Nigeria in its efforts to recover abducted girls, “said Ms. Zerrougui.”Every child, regardless of gender, ethnic origin, social status, language, nationality or religion, has the right to education and to live without fear of violence,” she declared.Since July 2009, the extremist group Boko Haram, whose name stands for “Western education is a sin”, has been carrying out targeted attacks against schools, police, religious leaders, politicians, public and international institutions, indiscriminately killing civilians, including dozens of children, the press release said.“The insurgent group continues to demonstrate that they have no regard for human rights. This senseless violence must be stopped immediately,” added Ms. Zerrougui, stressing that attacks on schools, students and teachers are prohibited under international humanitarian law and perpetrators must know that they will be held accountable.