FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Reuters:Wind turbine maker Vestas sees U.S. demand peaking in 2020 as government incentives, which have spurred investments in the sector, are phased out.Strong interest from utilities looking to replace retiring coal assets and big companies looking to buy renewable power will ensure U.S. demand does not fall off a cliff, as some analysts have predicted, Vestas’ North American chief said.“There’s no such thing as a cliff,” Chris Brown said at the firm’s capital markets day on Thursday. “I think that 2020 is going to be the peak of where the demand is and you’re going to see it fall off a little bit as you lose the PTC (production tax credit). And then you’re probably going to see it come back,” he later told Reuters.The PTC scheme has been critical to enabling wind projects to compete with fossil fuel plants but will start being gradually phased out from 2020.Brown pointed to 22 gigawatt (GW) of unmet demand by 2030 from so-called RE100 companies, which is an alliance of firms including Goldman Sachs, Walmart and Starbucks that aims to get 100 percent of electricity from renewable sources to combat climate change. Another 11 GW of unmet demand comes from utilities across the United States looking to replace coal plants with new wind generation, Brown added.More: Vestas sees U.S. demand for wind turbines peaking in 2020 Vestas optimistic about long-term wind power growth in U.S.
The 5-man Sinoe County Caucus in the National Legislature has said it will prosecute the county’s former Development Superintendent, Sneh Johnson, for corruption.The Caucus has at the same time pardoned Superintendent Romeo Quiah, who was also tangled in the alleged corruption web.The Caucus said the decision to take to court the former Development Superintendent is owing to his “defiance, insubordination, and disrespect to the Caucus and the people of the county.”A senior member of the caucus, Senator, J. Milton Teahjay, told the Daily Observer in an exclusive interview yesterday from Greenville, Sinoe County, via mobile phone that Sneh Johnson had absconded with or misapplied 350 bags of cement and 10 hand pumps, among other items that were given to the county for development by the Ministry of Public Works.“We are prosecuting Sneh Johnson and we will make sure he is punished for corruption,” Senator Teahjay said, adding that “this is what we have agreed upon under the chairmanship of Representative Jeremiah W. N. Macaulay.”“What kind of man is he, who thinks he is untouchable? Because of his defiance, insubordination and disrespect to the people of the county, we will carry him to court.”Mr. Johnson was Assistant Development Superintendent from December 2014 to May 2016.The Senator stated that the Caucus’s decision was reached after holding consultations with the people of the county, and was announced during the induction of the new County Administration.Those who were inducted over the weekend are Superintendent Prosper K. Brown; Othello D. Nagbe, Assistant Superintendent for Fiscal Affairs and Administration; and Moses Tuwleh, Assistant Superintendent for Development.The induction of Mr. Brown over the weekend brings to four the number of superintendents that have served Sinoe since President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf’s administration began in 2006.In a related development, Senator Teahjay has said that the Caucus has “forgiven” former Superintendent Romeo Quiah for dishonesty. Mr. Quiah previously expressed “deep regret and remorse” prior to the Caucus’s decision to forgive him.According to an investigation, the former superintendent was reportedly responsible for the massive looting at the Executive Lodge of 17 air conditioners and the scrapping of the yellow grader and the 966 front loaders among others. Those items were reportedly valued at over US$120,000.“We have forgiven Mr. Quiah…he has shown remorse, and you should know that only remorse leads to a real apology and change,” Senator Teahjay said.It may be recalled that in 2014, Mr. Quiah’s confirmation at the National Legislature following his appointment as superintendent was confronted with hurdles as Senators chose to postpone the hearing based on a past audit report from the General Auditing Commission (GAC) in which the administration under which Quiah served as Assistant Superintendent for Development did not account for more than US$800K.Many believe that the way in which the Caucus “forgave” Mr. Quiah is to appease the Sarpo ethnic tribe amid growing tension between the Sapo and Kru ethnic groups leading to the 2017 elections.In 2014, because of the election, the ethnic tension built up and resulted to threats, insults and friction among and between the county’s Legislators and local authorities.The reactivation of the Kru 48 sections and the Sarpo six sections worsened the conflict.However, the quick formation of the Sinoe Peace Council, now headed by Dr. Amos C. Sawyer, was able to defuse the emerging ethnic clash. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
0Shares0000Mohamed Salah, pictured in November 2017, is the Premier League’s top scorer with 13 goalsACCRA, Ghana, Jan 3 – Liverpool star Mohamed Salah hopes to add the African Player of the Year award in Ghana Thursday to his rapidly expanding collection of individual honours.The Egyptian, scorer of 23 goals in all competitions midway through his first season at Anfield, has been voted BBC African Footballer of the Year and Arab Player of the Year. Salah, Liverpool team-mate Sadio Mane of Senegal and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang of Borussia Dortmund and Gabon are the contenders for the highest African individual football honour.The scoring feats of Salah have installed him as the public and media favourite to succeed Algerian Riyad Mahrez of Leicester City as the number one African footballer.“I want to be the best Egyptian footballer ever,” said Salah after receiving the BBC award last month.Since arriving at Liverpool from Roma in the close-season, Mohamed Salah has already scored 10 times, including four in his last three appearances“When I came to Liverpool I hoped to show everyone my abilities. I scored a lot of goals with Roma and am very happy being successful at Liverpool.”Salah also starred for Egypt, scoring five of the goals that qualified his country for the 2018 World Cup in Russia after a 28-year absence from the global showpiece.Mane will also be in Russia next June, adding abundant creativity to a physically formidable Senegal side.Gabon did not qualify and Aubameyang shunned several World Cup call-ups, a fact that could count against him.Salah and Mane will leave Accra soon after the awards ceremony as Liverpool have a Friday night FA Cup third-round derby date with Everton.Liverpool’s German manager Jurgen KloppHowever, Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp did not hesitate to release his African duo for the Accra ceremony, which will include six other awards.“It is a sign of respect,” he told reporters in Liverpool. “We sleep in a hotel and they sleep in a plane. That is the only difference.”Salah is a doubt for the Merseyside showdown, though, having missed the English Premier League victory at Burnley this week owing to a groin strain.Should Salah be named Player of the Year, he will be only the second Egyptian after 1983 winner Mahmoud al Khatib to hoist the symbol of individual brilliance.Mohammed Salah poses with his BBC AFOTY award at Liverpool’s training ground in Melwood. PHOTO/BBCIt would be the first time since 1986 that north Africans have won successive editions of the poll, which this year involved national coaches, journalists, officials and the public.Morocco midfielder Mohamed Timoumi was the 1985 winner, followed by compatriot Badou Zaki, one of two goalkeepers to be voted the best African footballer.Footballers from the west of the continent have dominated recently with Samuel Eto’o of Cameroon and Yaya Toure of the Ivory Coast each winning four times.While Salah has made the top three for the first time, prolific Bundesliga scorer Aubameyang finished first once and second twice in the past three award ceremonies.Mane came third last season, but his valuable input for Liverpool has been overshadowed by Salah, second in the Premier League scorers’ charts behind Harry Kane of Tottenham Hotspur.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)