McIlroy hails ‘incredible’ victory

first_img Press Association “Golf is looking to someone to put their hand up and try to dominate and I want to be that person. I want be to be the guy that goes on and wins majors and wins majors regularly. I feel like there’s a lot more left in me.” McIlroy revealed he would look to copy 2013 champion Phil Mickelson by drinking top quality red wine out of the Claret Jug – at least initially – and also why he had a heckler removed from the crowd on the 16th hole. “He was giving me grief all day, actually,” McIlroy said. “I sort of put up with it for the first 15 holes and then he deliberately coughed on my downswing on the 16th tee. I still hit a great drive but I heard it halfway down and I knew who it was. So I turned around and got him chucked out, thankfully.” “It feels absolutely incredible,” said McIlroy, who saw his six-shot overnight lead cut to two on four occasions before sealing victory with a closing 71. “It’s cool that they put your name on there even before you get it. “It’s been an incredible week. I’m happy I gave myself enough of a cushion today, because there was a lot of guys coming at me, especially Sergio and Rickie (Fowler). Just to be sitting here and looking at this thing and having my name on it, it’s a great feeling. It obviously hasn’t sunk in yet. I’m going to enjoy it and let it sink in tonight in the company of my friends and family.” “I’m immensely proud of myself. To sit here 25 years of age and win my third major championship and be three-quarters of the way to the career grand slam, I never dreamed of being at this point in my career so quickly. “The Open Championship was the one you really wanted growing up, and the one you holed so many putts on the putting green to win, to beat Tiger Woods, Sergio Garcia, Ernie Els, whatever.” McIlroy’s two-shot win over Garcia and Fowler makes him the first European player to win three different majors since the Masters was founded in 1934 and the third player after Woods and Jack Nicklaus to win three majors by the age of 25. And he believes he has the ambition to attempt to match the achievements of Woods and Nicklaus, who have won 14 and 18 majors respectively. “I definitely hope so,” McIlroy said. “I’ve really found my passion again for golf. Not that it ever dwindled, but it’s what I think about when I get up in the morning. It’s what I think about when I go to bed. “I just want to be the best golfer that I can be. And I know if I can do that, then trophies like this are within my capability. I’d love to win a lot more and am really looking forward to – even though there’s still one major left this year that I want to desperately try and win – to next April and trying to complete the career grand slam. A year on from labelling his own play “brain dead”, Rory McIlroy spoke of his pride at winning the Open Championship at Royal Liverpool and immediately targeted more major glory. Missing the cut at Muirfield last year prompted McIlroy to make a withering assessment of his own game as he looked a shadow of the player who had won the 2011 US Open and 2012 US PGA Championship. But 12 months on the 25-year-old has his hands on the Claret Jug and is just one step away from winning the career grand slam after holding off a spirited challenge from Ryder Cup team-mate Sergio Garcia. last_img read more

Other Sports Pro Kabaddi League: Bengaluru Bulls clinch maiden title, beat Gujarat Fortunegiants in epic final

first_imgMumbai: Raider Pawan Sehrawat starred for Bengaluru Bulls as they defeated Gujarat Fortunegiants 38-33 in a pulsating final to lift their maiden Pro Kabaddi League title here on Saturday. Sehrawat accumulated 22 points in his 25 raids and turned the match on its head as he single-handedly took the southern outfit to a memorable win. Their second-best player was Sumit Singh (3 points). It was heartbreak for Gujarat yet again like the last season, when they ended up as runners-up. Pawan was the difference between the two teams as he pulled back his side into the game after trailing 9-16 after the first half at the NSCI Dome at Worli. A resurgent Bengaluru, courtesy Pawan’s show, inflicted all-out not once but twice on the Gujarat team to move ahead and then held their nerve to come out triumphant.Earlier, Bengaluru opened their account by sending off Gujarat’s star raider Sachin Tanwar in the opening minute. Gujarat’s raider K Prapanjan made it 1-1 after a successful raid. After Gujarat went ahead 2-1, they brought back Sachin Tanwar. But Pawan Kumar Sehrawat attempted two successful raids to take them 3-2 ahead. In a final where every point mattered, the two teams were going neck-to-neck with 4-4, after the initial seven minutes of the match. The two teams showed amazing skills that included super tackles and raids, and were locked at 7-7 with eight minutes to go for the completion of first half.Read More | Jyoti Randhawa, India golfer, arrested in UP on poaching chargesBut then Gujarat seemed to have found the momentum as they surged ahead 11-7 with a couple of successful raids and tackles. And then Gujarat inflicted an ‘all-out’ on their opponents to increase their lead to 15-9. At the half-way mark, Gujarat led 16-9. After the change of ends, Bengaluru, with some fine defence and tackles, made it 17-21. However, the turning point came when Sehrawat grabbed six points for his side after two successful raids which led to Gujarat’s all-out as Bengaluru edged ahead 23-22, with about nine minutes before the final whistle.Read More | Saina says playing PBL at the end of year affects player’s bodyBengaluru and Gujarat were tied at 29-29 at one point.  Again it was Pawan, who grabbed two points for his team, to take them 31-29 ahead, with two minutes remaining for the final whistle.  Again a successful raid by Pawan meant that Bengaluru inflicted another ‘all-out’ and surged 36-30 ahead and then ended the game at 38-33. Bengaluru went home richer by Rs 3 crore while Gujarat bagged Rs 1.80 crore as prize money. The seventh season of the Pro Kabaddi League will begin in July. For all the Latest Sports News News, Other Sports News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.last_img read more

Clippers exercise options on guards Landry Shamet and Jerome Robinson

first_imgThrough four games this season, Shamet is averaging 10.3 points and shooting 43.5 percent (14 for 31) from 3-point range.Related Articles The Clippers exercised their third-year options on guards Landry Shamet and Jerome Robinson, the team announced Tuesday.Shamet, a 6-foot-5 guard from Wichita State, is in line to earn $2.1 million in 2020-21. The 22-year-old Missouri native was acquired by the Clippers just before the trade deadline last February as part of a deal with the Philadelphia 76ers, who drafted him 26th.Choosing to exercise the option was something of a no-brainer: He averaged 9.1 points per game and shot 42 percent from 3-point range, earning him a selection to the NBA’s All-Rookie Second Team. Shamet also finished the regular season ranked fourth on the all-time rookie 3-point leaderboard (167) after shooting 42.2 percent, which was the second-highest percentage in the top-20 list behind only Steph Curry (43.7 percent).Against the New York Knicks in March, Shamet set the Clippers’ rookie record for 3-pointers in a quarter (six) and half (seven), logging the most by any rookie in a quarter and half since 2002-03. He also tied Clippers franchise records for 3-pointers made in a quarter (six) and a half. What the Clippers are saying the day after Luka Doncic’s game-winner tied series, 2-2 For Lakers’ LeBron James, Jacob Blake’s shooting is bigger issue than a big Game 4 victory Clippers vs. Mavericks Game 5 playoff updates from NBA beat reporters Kristaps Porzingis ruled out as Clippers, Mavericks set for Game 5; Follow for game updates Robinson, a 6-5 guard who played at Boston College, will make $3.74 million in 2020-21. The Clippers drafted the 22-year-old from North Carolina 13th overall, but he was hindered by a foot injury and appeared in only 33 games for the team during his rookie season, averaging 3.4 points and 1.2 rebounds per game. He also spent 24 games with the Clippers’ G-League affiliate averaging 18.9 points and 4.2 rebounds for Agua Caliente.Robinson, who received significant playing time in the preseason, has appeared in three of the Clippers’ first four games this season. In limited minutes, he’s averaging one point.Thursday is the deadline for teams to exercise a third- or fourth-year team option in a rookie scale contract. Clippers hope they can play to their capabilities, quell Mavericks’ momentum Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more

Wellington Police Notes: Wednesday, May 7, 2014

first_imgWellington Police notes for Wednesday, May 7, 2014:•2:38 a.m. Jesse L. Bolen-Holland, 22, Wichita, was arrested, charged and confined with driving while under the Influence – second offense, racing on highway and refuse preliminary breath test.•1:14 p.m. Officers investigated criminal damage to door frames in the 27 block Clark Avenue, Wellington.•1:57 p.m. Kenneth M. Etter, 45, Wellington was issued a notice to appear charged with defective taillights and defective brake lights.•3:30 p.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity of a known subject in the 200 block W. Denver, Perth.•4:22 p.m. Officers investigated driving while license is suspended and no proof of insurance in the 1600 block N. Vandenburgh, Wellington.•4:30 p.m. Mark S. Hatfield, 35, Wellington was issued a notice to appear charged with driving while license is suspended and no proof of insurance.last_img read more