Syracuse AD Mark Coyle: ‘We’re going to get our degrees, and we’re going to compete for championships.’

first_imgThe auditorium erupted into applause no more than five words into Mark Coyle’s first time talking to the media as Syracuse University’s newest athletic director.“Are you more a like Jake Crouthamel or Daryl Gross?” a reporter asked, referring to the past two Syracuse athletic directors.“I’m more like Mark Coyle,” he said confidently, which led to a deafening roar of cheers.The 10th athletic director in school history spoke to the media, Board of Trustees, members of SU administration and Orange head coaches for about 15 minutes on Monday morning. He discussed the state of Syracuse football as well as inheriting a basketball program marred by NCAA sanctions.Coyle previously served as the athletic director at Boise State since 2011, and oversaw a school that had success in football and overcame NCAA sanctions of its own — one of the reasons he thought Syracuse wanted to hire him. He was named the AD at SU on Friday evening and will officially start his tenure on July 6.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“My expectations are simple,” Coyle, who spoke with all of SU’s coaches this weekend, said. “… We’re going to get our degrees, and we’re going to compete for championships. And I want to make sure that we all understand that.”In terms of the sanctions SU is facing, Coyle said he’s read the NCAA report and noted that the search committee that recommended him to Chancellor Kent Syverud was open about it throughout the process.“I think what attracted them to me and what attracted me to Syracuse was I had just gone through that process,” Coyle said. “I think Boise State handled that process very well … I feel very comfortable going through that process here.”Coyle said he would place focus on all of the Syracuse sports but wasn’t shy about admitting the success he’s seen while working at Kentucky, primarily known as a basketball powerhouse, and Boise State, widely considered the premier mid-major football school in the nation.Syracuse went 3-9 last season in football. And with all sports at Syracuse, Coyle said they’re going to do what they can to improve and win.“I promise you, no one wants to win more than Coach Shafer, his students and his staff and our fan base wants to win, I want to win,” Coyle said. “I’ve got to come in here and take a look at what we’re doing. I promise you, we’ll give it every ounce of energy we have.”The Carrier Dome, which has had rumors of being replaced or remodeled over the past few years, was also asked about. Coyle said those are discussions he would have with current interim athletic director and Carrier Dome manager Pete Sala, but said he had been a big fan of the venue even as he grew up in Iowa watching games in the Dome on television.“Obviously the Carrier Dome has special meaning. And I know there have been conversations about updating it,” Coyle said. “… But that could be a tremendous recruiting tool for us. Our goal is to get 18-year-old kids to say yes to Syracuse. Don’t get me wrong, it’s all about recruiting. And if we can add that wow factor to increase that great tradition, we’ll be OK.” Comments Published on June 22, 2015 at 12:16 pm Contact Sam: [email protected] | @SamBlum3 Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

ANTI-WIND FARM CAMPAIGNERS COULD SUE COUNCIL AND ENERGY COMPANIES

first_imgANTI-windfarm campaigners in Donegal say they are watching developments in a landmark case – and could sue both Donegal County Council and wind energy companies on health and financial grounds.Seven families in the north Cork village of Banteer are suing a windfarm operator in a landmark case, claiming the huge turbines are adversely affecting their health.Families in Wexford and Roscommon are about to follow suit. The Gweebarra Conservation Group says families in Donegal are watching the cases closely.There are people in Donegal contemplating suing wind companies and the local Council if the situation continues as it is going,” said a spokesperson.“There has been little or no consultation; I’ll-sited turbines with no legal set back distance; deteriorating health and the inability to sell property adjacent wind farms are all concerns for people living in Donegal.“The fact that revenue has given lower Property Tax estimates along the route of the high voltage power line currently being erected by Eirgrid to facilitate wind farms is the State acknowledgment that wind farms and pylons bring down property prices. “People will want to be compensated for having to leave their homes in many instances due to the proximity of wind turbines and high voltage power lines.”The Glenties Windfarm Information Group insists it has no plans to sue anyone – as the group doesn’t believe plans for a windfarm in Straboy/Glenties won’t get the go-ahead.Talk of suing on health grounds is premature, said a spokeswoman.“We do not expect to have a windfarm located here, based on the irrefutable evidence heard at An Bord Pleanala Oral Hearing, October 2012. in Glenties,” she said.“However, we fully understand where the Cork people are coming from, having listened to the evidence of Mr. Dick Bowdler ( on noise/sound ) and Dr. Chris Hanning ( on infrasound-noise/health ). “Also we heard the evidence of peat experts Dr. Olivia Bragg and Dr. Paul Johnston, both of whom pointed to the lack of a detailed peat risk assessment in a populated area, immediately below a ‘peat disposal area’.“We, in Ireland, need our planners and politicians to plan for the future. Windfarms located close to human habitation will not be a future,” she added.ANTI-WIND FARM CAMPAIGNERS COULD SUE COUNCIL AND ENERGY COMPANIES was last modified: March 20th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:ANTI-WIND FARM CAMPAIGNERS COULD SUE COUNCIL AND ENERGY COMPANIESlast_img read more

Migrant Engineers in Kuwait Face Tough Time to Get NOC for Work Visa Renewal

first_imgSeveral engineers of foreign nationality in Kuwait who have to renew their work visas have been left confused after the country’s Public Authority for Manpower, which had introduced a new regulation, enforced it suddenly on March 15, Kuwait Times reported.According to the regulation that was circulated to all labor departments few days ago, expatriate engineers will be unable to renew their work visas until they get a no-objection certificate (NOC) from the Kuwait Society of Engineers (KSE).In order to acquire the NOC, the applicant must be a graduate from an accredited university, which is on the list of accredited universities, and in courses on the KSE master list, said the report.The Public Authority for Manpower officials said that the decision is not something new, as it has been in effect for a long time. It was circulated for the purposes of additional inspection and audit of the certificates by attaching a letter issued by KSE to it. The letter given by the KSE is necessary for the approval of engineers to acquire work permits, reported Arab Times.Hundreds of expat engineers, especially those who have graduated from colleges that are little known or not in the KSE list, will be hit by the move.Many expatriate engineers could be seen at the KES premises to seek assistance in getting the NOC on March 15. Kuwait Engineering Forum (KEF), an engineering society with over 1,300 engineers from India, and a registered association with the Indian embassy in Kuwait, said that they were facing similar problems with the new regulation. A member also pointed out that the issue will impact nearly 60 percent of Indian engineers working in Kuwait, according to Kuwait Times.“I was worried when they said that the procedure for new applications was only open in the evening and as expected the lines were massive with more than 350 people all clamoring for more information,” Nawaf Aboobacker, a mechanical engineer whose work visa will expire soon, was quoted as saying by Kuwait Times. He added that even though his college was accredited, his course (Mechanical Engineering) was not. “When I asked what I am supposed to do now – I was told to go back to my college in India and check with them,” he said.The Public Authority for Manpower confirmed that new regulation essentially applies to expat engineers working in the private sector, and did not furnish further details, stating that an official announcement on the issue will be made next week, according to the report. Related ItemsEmploymentGulfKuwaitlast_img read more