3 things to know from Naesean Howard’s 2nd court appearance

first_imgFormer Syracuse football player Naesean Howard appeared in court for the second time since allegedly stabbing current SU defensive backs Corey Winfield and Chauncey Scissum.Here are three things to know from the court appearance.1. Howard was ordered to have a mental health examWhen Howard approached the bench on Friday, he and his then-lawyer, Stuart LaRose, had sent a letter to Judge James H. Cecile requesting a mental health exam. The exam will determine whether Howard is competent enough to proceed with the case and understand the charges against him.2. He changed his representationAdvertisementThis is placeholder textAlthough LaRose represented Howard in court today, the former SU football player and his family informed LaRose after the hearing they had retained Irene Aurora Flores as his new representation.Flores said she hadn’t had a chance to completely review the case, but that Howard was held in the 5c section of the downtown jail, an area for inmates dealing with mental health issues. She also said Howard may have had one-on-one supervision while he was still in jail. Earlier this week, Howard was released from jail on $40,000 bond.“There’s more to the case than going up to them and doing what he allegedly did,” Flores said.3. Howard is due in court next monthCecile set Howard’s next appearance in court for May 19. After being arraigned on Monday, his appearance in court on Friday was supposed to be set for a preliminary hearing, but the case will be put in front of a grand jury instead. Comments Published on April 22, 2016 at 11:29 am Contact Chris: [email protected] | @ChrisLibonati Related Stories Witness details alleged stabbing, South Campus partyDino Babers: ‘It’s a blessing both of these young men are still with us’Former Syracuse football player Naesean Howard bonded out of jailcenter_img Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Mladost defeated Bosna, Vogošća defeated Zrinjski

first_imgIn the 19th round of BiH Basketball Tournament, Mladost defeated Bosna with 98:92.The most efficient players of Mladost were Knežević with 21, Velimir with 17 and Bjelić with 16 points, while the Lerić (17), Demić(15 points) were the most efficient players of Bosna.Vogošća defeated Zrinjski with 94:89, with Filipović scoring 41 points, Hot 22 and Keser 19 points for Vogošća, while the most efficient players for Zrinjski were Petrić with 26 points and Lalović with 21 points.Čapljina Lasta defeated Kakanj with 77:64, Posušje defeated Radnik BN Basket with 81:67, and Varda defeated Servitium with 83:58.BiH Basketball Tournament Standings:1. MLADOST 332. ČAPLJINA 333. BOSNA 324. RADNIK 295. VARDA HE 296. LEOTAR 287. POSUŠJE 278. ZRINJSKI 279. BORAC 2710. VOGOŠĆA 2611. KAKANJ 2612. SERVITIUM 25last_img read more

Red Thread has been failing over the past 3 years

first_imgDear Editor,Red Thread’s involvement in the protest intending to advocate for the rights of Amerindians, in front of the privately-owned Mae’s Schools, has been hailed as admirable work. However, the organisation has now exposed itself to criticisms of inaction on similar causes.Just consider its silence in the face of the APNU/AFC assault on Amerindians over the course of the past there years.Where was Red Thread when 1,972 young Amerindians were fired, and there has since been no effort or initiative to re-engage them in productive areas that see their welfare addressed?Where was Red Thread when a Government Minister, Keith Scott, in no less a place than the National Assembly, castigated thousands of Amerindians for being greedy?Where was the outrage when Minister Scott not only rose and told the National Assembly that Amerindians were avaricious in their request for more lands, but also refused to apologize for his comments?Editor, it is not only the silence on the attacks on Amerindian people that is objectionable, but Red Thread’s silence on the violation of liberties of women in the public sector. We have seen countless professional women in the public service being bullied out of their jobs on less than substantial grounds.We have seen the despicable display of a pregnant woman being hauled before the courts, accompanied by her lawyer, Nigel Hughes, on baseless charges, and being booted out of her post. Where was Red Thread then?The organisation’s Karen de Souza had boasted some years ago about the focus of her organization, and had argued that Red Thread has three priorities, including protection and justice for women and increased visibility and voice for grassroots women.Where were the protests when thousands of female sugar workers were callously fired?Where was Red Thread when the current Government blatantly disrespected and ignored the laws of Guyana by failing to pay their full severance?Where was Red Thread when there were multiple calls for a decision of such magnitude to be based on solid information, not just based on a whim?Where was Red Thread when the Government ignored its own Commission of Inquiry Report which made it clear that no sugar estate should be closed because of the consequences?Red Thread has repeatedly rejected association with the Working People’s Alliance (WPA) by saying it is an ‘old story’ that is repeated. But how do you explain Red Thread’s silence in the face of actions taken by this Coalition Government, which the WPA is part of?How can the association between the WPA and Red Thread be discounted as an ‘old story’ when the organization is inconsistent in defending the causes it is supposed to represent?Editor, I would like to submit that credibility as an organization hinges on its consistency in fighting issues; but, in this regard, Red Thread has been failing over the past three years.Regards,Baldeo Mathuralast_img read more