Acadia Fire U12 boys win Maine State Premier League title

first_imgTRENTON — The Acadia Fire U12 boys’ soccer team defeated Dutch Soccer Academy on penalty kicks June 10 to win the Maine State Premier League title in Freeport.The team, which consists of players from Blue Hill, Ellsworth, Hancock, Gouldsboro, Mount Desert Island and Otis, responded to an early deficit to tie the game at 1. Cruz Coffin provided the opener for Acadia Fire on an assist from Kal Laslie.Coffin scored his second goal of the game in extra time after firing a cross from Ellis Columber past the goalkeeper. Yet DSA made it 2-2 moments later, and the game would come down to penalties.Corin Baker, Columber, Caden Braun, Coffin and Laslie stepped up to the penalty spot in the shootout, and the team scored on four of its five attempts. Goalkeeper Jameson Weir came up with two big saves to deny DSA, and Acadia Fire won the shootout 4-3 to cap off a dramatic championship game win.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textOther team members are Jacob Bagley, Ian Gatcomb, Gavin Hunt, Aubrey King, Owen Frank and Gavin Boles. The team is coached by Michael Curless and David Baker.The win marked the second Maine State Premier League title and third championship game appearance for Trenton-based Acadia Fire in the 2018 spring season. The U14 team won the title over DSA on June 3, and the U16 team fell in its final against Westbrook-based Rosevelt Soccer Club.Acadia Fire is currently looking to fill rosters for this fall’s traveling season. For more information, contact coach Michael Curless via email at [email protected]last_img read more

Policeman charged for stealing phone

first_imgA 22-year-old Police Constable appeared on Wednesday at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts on a simple larceny charge.Ernesto Thomas of Belmont, Mahaica, East Coast Demerara (ECD), stood before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan and denied the charge which stated that on March 5, 2019 at the Police Club Ground in Eve Leary, Georgetown he stole one Samsung Galaxy cellular phone and SIM card, property of Carl Saul, valued at $62,000. Saul is also an officer attached to the Sport Secretariat.The prosecution is contending that the Virtual Complainant (VC) was at the Police Sports Club Ground, Eve Leary, Georgetown, coaching his football team, during which time he had in his possession his cellular phone. According to the prosecution’s case, on completion of the football training, the VC checked for the phone in his pocket and surroundings, but came up empty-handed. A report was made to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) Headquarters where an investigation was launched, which led to the arrest of Thomas, who reportedly admitted to finding the phone, discarding the SIM card and selling it to a known individual in Albouystown, Georgetown.Police Prosecutor Gordon Mansfield did not object to bail. Chief Magistrate McLennan released Thomas on self-bail. The case will continue on May 14, 2019.last_img read more