BATESVILLE, Ark. – You couldn’t ask for better weather for this weekend’s Arkansas Spring Nationals at Batesville Motor Speedway.IMCA Modifieds run for $1,500 to win and Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational ballot berths Friday and Saturday, March 23 and 24. Both features pay $1,000 to the runner-up. Minimum start money is $150, non-qualifiers earn “B” money and IMCA Speedway Motors Weekly Racing National, Jet Racing Central Region, Arkansas State and track points will be awarded.The pit gate opens at 4 p.m., the grandstand opens at 5:30 p.m., hot laps are at 7 p.m. and racing starts at 7:30 p.m. each night.Spectator admission is $10 for adults and free for kids ages 14 and under. Pit passes are $30.An open practice will be from 7-10 p.m. on Thursday, March 22. Pit passes that evening are $20.Overnight accommodations are available by calling the Ramada Inn at 870 698-1800 or the Holiday Inn Express at 870 698-2700.Additional information about Arkansas Spring Nationals is available by calling 870 251-0011, at the www.batesvillemotorspeedway.com website or by emailing [email protected]
Ireland’s former two-weight UFC champion Conor McGregor says he has “retired from the sport formally known as ‘Mixed Martial Art'”.The 30-year-old announced his decision on social media on Tuesday.”I wish all my old colleagues well going forward,” he added.McGregor’s last fight ended in defeat, when he was beaten by Khabib Nurmagomedov in October 2018 – the Russian winning the lightweight contest by a fourth-round submission.It was his first fight in the octagon in two years and the defeat was marred by a post-fight brawl which led to both fighters being fined and suspended.Since making his mixed martial arts debut in 2007, former trainee plumber McGregor established himself as one of the sport’s leading fighters. How McGregor transcended UFCMcGregor won the interim featherweight title with a knockout of Jose Aldo inside 13 seconds. While a loss on his welterweight debut to Nate Diaz ended a 15-fight winning streak, the Irishman won the rematch five months later.A victory over Eddie Alvarez for the lightweight championship saw McGregor become the sport’s first dual-weight champion.And at the peak of his powers he transcended the sport, going on to face five-weight boxing champion Floyd Mayweather in ‘The Money Fight’.That lucrative affair earned McGregor an estimated $30m (£23m), and attracted more than a million pay per view buyers in the UK and four million in the United States, with the American winning in the 10th round by technical knockout.However, McGregor’s time in mixed martial arts has also been marred by controversy. In 2018, he was ordered to have anger management training and perform five days of community service by a court in return for criminal charges being dropped after he had attacked a bus containing rival UFC fighters.Video footage appeared to show McGregor throwing a railing at a bus carrying Khabib and a number of other UFC fighters.Earlier this month McGregor was arrested in Miami for allegedly smashing a fan’s phone as they tried to take pictures of him.McGregor, who finishes with a record of 21 wins and four defeats, said: “I now join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement. Proper Pina Coladas on me fellas!”Has he really retired?This is not the first time that McGregor has announced his retirement from the sport. In April 2016, McGregor tweeted: “I have decided to retire young. Thanks for the cheese,” and was then not included on the UFC 200 card.But he quickly issued a retraction outlining that he had instead fallen out with the sport’s bosses over promotional work.In September 2018, McGregor launched an Irish whiskey brand.Following McGregor’s announcement, UFC President Dana White said: “He has the money to retire. It totally makes sense. If I was him, I would retire too.”He’s retiring from fighting, not from working. The whiskey will keep him busy and I’m sure he has other things he’s working on.” “He has been so fun to watch. He has accomplished incredible things in this sport. I am so happy for him and look forward to seeing him be as successful outside the octagon as he was in it.”However, McGregor’s latest statement arrives after an interview aired on an American television show, in which he claimed he was in negotiations with the UFC about a return to fighting in July.On The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon he said rematches against Diaz and Aldo would appeal to him and he has also said he would send Mayweather’s “head into the bleachers,” if the pair were to meet again.”I’ll be here ready for him. I’ll be here ready and confident,” he said.”Next camp and I do believe it should happen, I mean, why not? Why not? If I have sparring partners in my camp that march forward, trust me when I tell you, I’ll send his head into the bleachers.” AnalysisNick Peet, MMA writer and broadcaster speaking to BBC Radio 5 LiveConor has retired before and it lasted 48 hours and we’ve seen it in the fight game many times before.It is generally a power play to come out and say that you are going to retire to make promoters and everybody in the infrastructure of the sport panic and come back to you with an extra zero to the next cheque.But the world of UFC has drastically changed. For the last 25 years it has been based around pay-per-view deals. So 10 times a year they did big pay-per-view events and for those events they needed superstars and champions. So Conor McGregor, Ronda Rousey and Brock Lesnar would fight twice a year and those events would generate the most income.However, that all changed in 2019 with UFC’s deal with ESPN+. You no longer have to pay $100 (£76) for a couple of events twice a year when McGregor fights. Instead you pay around $9 (£7) a month for your subscription. So this may be Dana White coming out and saying we no longer need our biggest stars to fight twice a year. McGregor will need the biggest pay cheque in UFC history to come back and the numbers might not work for UFC anymore.McGregor has more money than sense. He dreamt of becoming a millionaire and a UFC champion but did he ever dream of transcending the sport and becoming a global icon? Did he ever dream of generating so much from one fight? He may be better selling whiskey. It is difficult to stay hungry when you are waking up on silk sheets.
“That non-guarantee is overwhelming a little bit,” Sacre said. “But the Lakers knew what they wanted. They’re happy with me and I’m happy being with this organization.”It’s still a challenge considering Sacre has sat on the bench for 15 games because of D’Antoni’s preference to have a stretch forward. Sacre posted only two points on four shot attempts in five minutes against Toronto.“He has to go with the mindset to bring us energy and run the floor,” D’Antoni said. “He’s done that and done it well. But there’s a lot of people that have that role so we go back and forth at times to his detriment.”The Lakers also like Sacre’s team-first mindset, which he partly credits toward Nash.“He’s one of the hardest working guys even though he’s older than most people,” Sacre said of Nash, who turns 40 in February. “He’s always in the gym working his game, trying to improve and get better himself. I try to mimic my game after that.”Heavy roleJodie Meeks has remained in high spirits all season, and why shouldn’t he? He’s played for at least 40 minutes for the past eight games, because of long-term injuries to the Lakers’ backcourt.“It’s fun. I’m not complaining,” said Meeks, who posted 11 points in the Lakers’ win over Toronto. “I’ve been on the other side of that with not playing at all.”Meeks has managed such a role partly after reducing his sugar intake and lowering his body fat percentage from nine to six percent. He has also averaged a career-high 14.6 points on 44.6 percent shooting, with D’Antoni attributing it to improved outside shooting, drives to the basket and defense.“Sometimes last year I didn’t see the game as well,” Meeks said. “I wasn’t playing many minutes understandably since I was behind Kobe [Bryant] and he was healthy. This year, I’m getting more of a feel of things I can do.” The Lakers are, too.“He got us right through customs easily,” Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni joked.The Lakers like Sacre beyond travel conveniences. After being tabbed Mr Irrelevant as the 60th pick in the 2012 NBA Draft, Sacre has assumed a more relevant role with the Lakers, averaging 4.6 points and 3.4 rebounds through 14.2 minutes both as a reserve (18 games) and starter (eight).“I look at it as a blessing in disguise,” Sacre said of his draft standing. “It kept me hungry and kept me on my toes in getting better.”The Lakers sensed enough in Sacre’s improvement this offseason on his post moves, pick-and-roll execution and defense to sign him to a three-year extension worth $2.6 million, with the first two seasons guaranteed. TORONTO — A swarm of Canadian journalists hovered around his locker, latching onto every word he spoke.Steve Nash making a return to a country where he’s served as a living inspiration for all Canadian basketball players and the national team’s current general manager?Nope. Nash is training in Vancouver to heal the nerve issues in his back. Instead, Lakers backup center Robert Sacre took over ambassador duties.“I don’t think of it as that,” Sacre said before the Lakers’ 112-106 win Sunday over the Toronto Raptors at Air Canada Centre. “But I’m very proud to say that I represent Canada.” Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error
A 22-year-old Police Constable appeared on Wednesday at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts on a simple larceny charge.Ernesto Thomas of Belmont, Mahaica, East Coast Demerara (ECD), stood before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan and denied the charge which stated that on March 5, 2019 at the Police Club Ground in Eve Leary, Georgetown he stole one Samsung Galaxy cellular phone and SIM card, property of Carl Saul, valued at $62,000. Saul is also an officer attached to the Sport Secretariat.The prosecution is contending that the Virtual Complainant (VC) was at the Police Sports Club Ground, Eve Leary, Georgetown, coaching his football team, during which time he had in his possession his cellular phone. According to the prosecution’s case, on completion of the football training, the VC checked for the phone in his pocket and surroundings, but came up empty-handed. A report was made to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) Headquarters where an investigation was launched, which led to the arrest of Thomas, who reportedly admitted to finding the phone, discarding the SIM card and selling it to a known individual in Albouystown, Georgetown.Police Prosecutor Gordon Mansfield did not object to bail. Chief Magistrate McLennan released Thomas on self-bail. The case will continue on May 14, 2019.