Notebook: Nassib, Loeb react to starting quarterback situation for 1st time

first_img Comments Nathaniel Hackett isn’t ready to hand off the Syracuse starting quarterback job just yet. He has a definition, but not an identity. ‘That position takes such a unique person to do it,’ Hackett said at SU’s Media Day on Monday. ‘You have to be a very special guy to handle a lot of the pressure. So many different things are coming at you. … It’s one of those things. There’s always room for great quarterbacks.’  Though Hackett wouldn’t explicitly state the quarterback who could bear that definition, it has grown more and more likely that sophomore Ryan Nassib will be SU’s starter in its opening contest at Akron on Sept. 4. Amidst a crowded field — which includes sophomore Charley Loeb and true freshmen Jonny Miller and John Kinder — Nassib has received subtle hints in the past week from head coach Doug Marrone and teammates that he will be the Orange’s starter. Last week at Big East Media Day in Newport, R.I., Marrone suggested that Nassib would be his starter. Then, on Sunday, senior punter Rob Long told The Daily Orange that the team expects Nassib as their starting quarterback.‘We know he is our guy going in (to camp),’ Long said Sunday, ‘and he will be our guy until the season gets started.’AdvertisementThis is placeholder textWhen told of Long’s statement, Nassib said the words were meaningful to him coming from the senior captain.‘It means a lot,’ Nassib said. ‘Rob has always been a supportive captain. He’s always been like that to every other player. He’s always been a good, strong support system on this team. I’m very happy to hear that from him.’Of course, Nassib has been here before. He was named the starter in Marrone’s first spring practice in 2009, only to have the title stripped away from him when Greg Paulus decided to suit up for the Orange.This spring, there was some doubt cast by Loeb, who opened eyes in SU’s Spring Game on April 17. Loeb threw for 259 yards and three touchdowns in that game, albeit against Syracuse’s second-team defense.When told of Marrone’s comments from last week regarding which player will be the starter going into camp, on Monday Loeb said it was the first time he had heard them. But he didn’t think the quarterback situation would affect his fall camp.‘It doesn’t change a thing for me in terms of how I’m going to practice or play,’ Loeb said. ‘I think that’s something more for people outside the team.’And despite no official confirmation that Nassib will be the starter in SU’s first game at Akron, much of the team, including junior wide receiver Van Chew, seem ready to take the field with Nassib as their leader.‘He had the physical part down,’ Chew said. ‘He’s always been athletic. Now, I think he has the mental game down. He’s ready to be a leader.’Graham shifts to wide receiverAs a freshman two years ago, Dorian Graham lined up on the practice field against Ryan Nassib. Now, he could be one of Nassib’s primary targets.After missing all of last season with a shoulder injury, Graham will make the switch from safety to wide receiver this year.‘My initial reaction was that I was excited and ready to get started,’ Graham said. ‘I trust in the coaches’ opinion, and I’m just looking forward to getting on the field and making plays.’ Graham, listed at 5 feet 11 inches and 182 pounds, will join a crowded wide-receiver cast that includes juniors Van Chew and Marcus Sales, sophomore Alec Lemon and transfer Aaron Weaver. Graham said he was informed of the switch ‘a couple of days before camp.’In shifting to the other side of the ball, Graham’s adjustment period will come in learning an entirely different playbook.‘I need to show that, first of all, I know the plays,’ Graham said. ‘It’s a new playbook. After that, second is catch the ball, and it’s just natural.’For Marrone, it is a decision he thinks will pay off for his new-look offense that, as of now, returns just three starters. He thinks Graham’s speed could add an important dimension to a unit that lacks an explosive threat.‘Any time you’re able to bring someone over to the offensive side of the ball that has speed that can get behind the defense,’ Marrone said, ‘that creates an advantage for us.’This and thatOffensive lineman Lou Alexander, a junior-college transfer from the College of the Canyons in Palmdale, Calif., is also facing eligibility issues, and his status for the fall is unknown. An SU spokesman said his status is ‘pending with the university.’ As of Monday, he is still listed on the team’s official roster. … Defensive end Jared Kimmel, tight end Cody Catalina and fullback Carl Cutler were not at Media Day and have not reported to camp yet, as they are each rehabilitating from injuries. … Marrone announced a ‘drop dead date’ of August 30 for academically ineligible running back Averin [email protected]–– Asst. Sports Editor Tony Olivero contributed reporting to this story. Facebook Twitter Google+center_img Published on August 8, 2010 at 12:00 pmlast_img read more

Daniele Scardina, Francesco Patera score impressive wins in Milan

first_imgA low blow by Patera in the third round caused a short delay before the rapid pace continued. Hyland (20-2, seven KOs) gave it his all in the fourth but was reckless in his attack. Patera responded by showing his pedigree with an onslaught of hooks to the body.The fight was temporarily halted in the fifth when Hyland slipped on water in the corner. Another low blow from Patera paused the action again in a round that never really got going until the last 10 seconds when a left hook to the liver dropped Hyland for the second time in the fight.In the sixth, Hyland went down for the third time after another body shot, and it wasn’t long before the Belgian champ landed another to drop Hyland one last time. The referee called off the fight at 1:50 of the round. Daniele Scardina retained his IBF International super middleweight title with a classy unanimous decision victory over Alessandro Goddi at the Allianz Cloud in Milan, Italy, on Friday.Judges scored the 10-round bout 98-92, 96-94 and 96-94 for “King Toretto,” who was making his first title defense since beating Henri Kekalainen for the belt last March.  Scardina (17-0, 14 KOs) used his reach to keep Goddi (35-5-1, 17 KOs) at bay early, but Goddi worked to get past the jab and land on the inside. He got through on more than one occasion but to little effect.In the fourth round, Scardina landed an uppercut that sent his opponent backward. The champion, who hails from Rozzano, Italy, but fights out of Miami, then began to wear down his Sicilian foe with perfectly placed jabs, body shots and overhand rights en route to the comfortable decision.Join DAZN to watch pver 100 fights a yearCo-main event: Francesco Patera continues reign with sixth-round TKO of Paul Hyland Jr.Patera made his second defense of the EBU European lightweight title and extended his unbeaten run to four fights since losing to Edis Tatli in December 2017.Both men started at a frantic pace and traded hooks from the opening bell, with Patera (22-3, eight KOs) focusing mainly on the body. An accidental clash of heads at the end of the Round 1 caused cuts to Patera’s right eye and the top of Hyland’s head.Hyland looked to focus on the cut to Patera’s eye in the second round but left himself open to the counter, and Patera landed a right hand to score a knockdown with 10 seconds left in the round.last_img read more

Jose eyes teen star, Lloris snubs Spurs deal and Liverpool in £4m swoop – GOSSIP

first_imgHere are the top transfer-related stories in Thursday’s newspapers…Manchester United are chasing Bordeaux’s teen sensation Adam Ounas. They have already made contact over the 19-year-old attacking midfielder and are trying to set up a summer move as they prepare for a new era under recently-appointed manager Jose Mourinho. (Daily Mirror)But Jose Mourinho won’t get the chance to reunite with Karim Benzema. The pair enjoyed a good relationship during their time together at Real Madrid, but Benzema has no interest in leaving ‘the club of his dreams’ to join Mourinho at Manchester United. (Daily Express)Hugo Lloris has turned down Tottenham’s new contract offer. Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has opened negotiations about a new five-year deal with France keeper Lloris. They are hopeful he will sign and commit himself long term but their opening gambit has been knocked back by the 29-year-old. (Daily Mirror)Manchester City are interested in signing PSG defender Marquinhos. Central defence looks like being a key area to strengthen for new coach Pep Guardiola, with Martin Demichelis expected to move on, Eliaquim Mangala told he can and doubts over whether Vincent Kompany and Nicolas Otamendi can hold down a regular place in the starting XI. (Manchester Evening News)Liverpool are in discussions over a £4million move for Anderlecht teenager Samuel Bastien. The 19-year-old Belgian has been on loan at Avellino in Serie B in Italy who had an option to make his deal permanent but now believe Liverpool are in pole position. Bastien is a high-energy, skilful midfielder who has been capped at U21 level by Belgium. (Daily Mail)West Brom defender James Chester has opened the door for a move to Swansea. The Swans were knocked-back in January by West Brom for the £8million centre-back. But Chester is eager to resurrect his Premier League form alongside Wales team-mate Ashley Williams at the Liberty Stadium. (Daily Express)Hull City will offer new contracts to both Tom Huddlestone and Ahmed Elmohamady before their current deals expiring next month, but Sone Aluko has been told he is free to leave the KC Stadium. (Hull Daily Mail)Leicester City are close to making their first signings of the summer – with the double arrival of Germany goalkeeper Ron-Robert Zieler and Spanish defender Luis Hernandez. (Leicester Mercury)Roberto Di Matteo will officially be confirmed as Aston Villa’s new manager, having agreed an initial two-year deal that includes a £2m bonus if he gets Villa back into the Premier League. (Daily Mail)And here are the latest talkSPORT.com headlines…?‘Spain aren’t that good…’ – Former England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson says Three Lions can WIN Euro 2016Axed Leeds United boss Steve Evans refuses to criticise Massimo Cellino, telling talkSPORT: ‘I am just honoured to have managed that club’Bayern Munich star Mario Gotze would prefer Arsenal move over LiverpoolTottenham transfer news: Mauricio Pochettino targets move for former Chelsea star Andre SchurrleJuventus midfielder Kwadwo Asamoah targeted by new Chelsea bossReal Madrid put £50m price tag on Arsenal target Alvaro MorataChelsea ready to spend £23m on Antonio Rudiger just days after he joined Roma for £7.5mManchester United to battle rivals Liverpool for Roma midfielder Miralem Pjaniclast_img read more