CHANNEL 44 NEWS SEPTEMBER 26, 2016

first_imgBurglary Suspect On The LooseSEPTEMBER 26TH, 2016 GRIFFIN GLASSCOCK EVANSVILLEThe Evansville Police Department is searching for a burglary suspect after a woman claims she was thrown to the ground in her home.The incident happened in the 700 block of E. Columbia street Saturday night.A woman says she was in the bedroom and heard the back door open. She walked into the kitchen and claims the suspect pushed her to the floor. She hit him in the head with a flashlight, but the suspect kept saying he needed his tool bag.The offender took off with a phone and bike.Police are still investigating.Susan G. Komen Race For The Cure 2016SEPTEMBER 26TH, 2016 GRIFFIN GLASSCOCK EVANSVILLE The largest and most successful educational fundraiser is raising awareness to end breast cancer.Fighters, survivors, and battle buddies took their message to the street for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Evansville.The event raises money and awareness for the breast cancer movement. It also celebrates survivorship and honors those who have lost their battle with the disease.7,600 people participated this year, raising more than $500,000.Sheila Seiler said, “Of course we’d like to increase that. The more money we raise, the more money that can stay here for the people that we know and love. But also, the more money we cans end to research because we’ve got to find a cure for this disease.”100% of the net proceeds go towards the mission. 75% of the net income stays in the community to help fund local programs offering breast health education and breast cancer screening and treatment. The remaining 25% supports the Susan G. Komen Grants program.FacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmailShare Voting Center Assessments ContinueSEPTEMBER 25TH, 2016 HEATHER GOOD EVANSVILLE, INDIANA Officials continue to assess voting centers in Vanderburgh County.Monday, county election board officials will evaluate Caze Elementary School.They will begin the assessment at 1pm.Back in June, the Vanderburgh County Election Board held a special meeting addressing the issues concerning the accessibility of certain voting centers to people with disabilities. For the past few months they have been assessing several voting centers across the county.last_img read more

Disarmament Plan in Brazil Receives 22,200 Firearms in Four Months

first_imgBy Dialogo September 15, 2011 The Brazilian authorities have collected 22,200 firearms through the disarmament plan relaunched four months ago, that country’s Justice Ministry announced. “We want to collect as many as possible; the more, the better,” Justice Minister José Cardozo said. The ministry announced that approximately 10,828 revolvers, 7,600 pistols, and 3,734 long guns were recovered. The total comes to 20 more than the total turned in between January and May. The Brazilian states that had the best results were Sao Paulo (5,349), Rio Grande do Sul (2,641), Rio de Janeiro (2,602), Pernambuco (1,776), and Minas Gerais (1,572). The Government indemnifies individuals who turn weapons in to the authorities, for which purpose it has available a fund of $6.25 billion, of which $2 billion has been used. Between 1997 and 2008, the Army destroyed more than 1.8 million firearms, according to a study by a private NGO, which revealed that at least 8 million more guns are in the hands of civilians, security forces, and criminals.last_img read more

Central African Republic’s underage deal with trauma

first_imgAfrican Union re-admits Central African Republic Hollande in Central African Republic In any conflict, children are the most vulnerable. Hundreds of thousands of children were affected by the conflict In the Central African Republic. Even though the violence has ceased, many are still grappling with the trauma. CCTV’s Peninah Karibe has this report Related Central African Republic Child Abuse Claimslast_img