Jesuits name priests with credible allegations of sexually abusing minors

first_imgReligion Two nuns admit embezzling school funds for Las Vegas gambling trips Jesuits name priests with ‘credible allegations’ of sexually abusing minors Mon 17 Dec 2018 15.17 EST Maryland Religion Five living Jesuits and another eight who are dead who served in churches, high schools and colleges were named Reuse this content Victims of clergy sexual abuse, or their family members, at a news conference in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, on 14 August.Photograph: Matt Rourke/AP Shares6262 Share on Facebook Share on Facebook This article is more than 6 months old Share via Email news It is the latest in a string of similar disclosures from Jesuit governing bodies. Earlier this month, two other Jesuit provinces that cover nearly half the US released the names of more than 150 priests and other ministry leaders found to have “credible allegations” of sexual abuse made against them.The letter from the Rev Robert Hussey, the leader of the Jesuit province headquartered in Maryland, states that most cases date back decades and the most recent incident occurred in 2002. The five still alive are listed as living in supervised housing “on a safety plan”. “We are deeply sorry for the harm we have caused to victims and their families,” said Hussey, whose statement was attached to the list of names and accusations.None of the living named Jesuits are in active ministry.While some of the named Jesuit priests were removed from ministry in the 1990s, others were not removed until well after the US church sex abuse scourge exploded in Boston in 2002. One accused priest, Neil McLaughlin, was not removed from ministry until 2007 despite the fact he is believed to have abused youngsters from his ordination in 1959 until the 1980s, with multiple accusations of abuse from Maryland, Pennsylvania, Georgia, New York and Massachusetts.Another Jesuit priest, J Glenn Murray, was only removed from ministry in 2011, decades after he was accused of a single allegation of sex abuse in Baltimore dating from 1981, a few years after his ordination.David Lorenz, a clergy sex abuse survivor who leads the Maryland chapter of the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (Snap), said he was glad the Jesuits were putting out a list of abusers so some victims could get some relief and move ahead in their lives. But he stressed that the list was “wholly inadequate”, in his view, and the only way to get all the information about church abuse was through subpoenas by independent investigators.“Unless you force them to open up their records you can’t believe that what they’re giving you is complete,” Lorenz said in a phone interview on Monday.The Jesuits have previously settled lawsuits across the country, including a $166m settlement involving about 500 abuse claims in Oregon in 2011, one of the largest settlements involving clergy abuse allegations.Catholic bishops adopted widespread reforms in 2002 when clergy abuse became a national crisis for the church in the US, including stricter requirements for reporting accusations to law enforcement and a streamlined process for removing clerics.But a Pennsylvania grand jury this year made very clear that more changes are needed. In a nearly 900-page report released on 14 August, the grand jury alleged that more than 300 Roman Catholic priests had abused at least 1,000 children over the past seven decades in six Pennsylvania dioceses. It also accused senior church officials of systematically covering up complaints. Support The Guardian Associated Press in Baltimorecenter_img … we have a small favour to ask. The Guardian will engage with the most critical issues of our time – from the escalating climate catastrophe to widespread inequality to the influence of big tech on our lives. At a time when factual information is a necessity, we believe that each of us, around the world, deserves access to accurate reporting with integrity at its heart.More people are reading and supporting The Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism than ever before. And unlike many news organisations, we have chosen an approach that allows us to keep our journalism accessible to all, regardless of where they live or what they can afford. But we need your ongoing support to keep working as we do.Our editorial independence means we set our own agenda and voice our own opinions. Guardian journalism is free from commercial and political bias and not influenced by billionaire owners or shareholders. This means we can give a voice to those less heard, explore where others turn away, and rigorously challenge those in power.We need your support to keep delivering quality journalism, to maintain our openness and to protect our precious independence. Every reader contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support The Guardian from as little as $1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you. Share on WhatsApp Christianity Share on Messenger Catholicism Read more Topics Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share on Twitter The Roman Catholic Jesuit province serving much of the eastern United States on Monday released the names of Jesuit priests who face “credible or established” accusations of sexual abuse of minors dating to 1950.In a letter, the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus identified five living Jesuits facing offenses that took place in the province and another eight who are dead. The men – part of a Catholic order that includes more than 16,000 men worldwide – served in churches, high schools, colleges and other institutions. This article is more than 6 months old Last modified on Mon 17 Dec 2018 15.31 EST Share on Pinterest Share via Email Since you’re here…last_img read more