MattGush/iStock(GAINESVILLE, Fla.) — Seven people are dead and others critically hurt after a fiery car crash on I-75 near Gainesville, Florida, officials said.Fifty gallons of diesel fuel spilled in the crash. The blaze has since been put out, Alachua County Fire Rescue said.Besides the six deaths, eight patients were “transported from the scene, multiple patients with critical injuries,” fire rescue said.A helicopter responded to help with locating possible patients that may be in the woods, fire rescue said.The crash involved two tractor trailers, a passenger van and a midsize sedan, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.All lanes in the southbound direction are currently closed due to the large amount of personal property, vehicle parts and burnt vehicles still on the roadway, officials said. Northbound lanes have been reopened.There is a pending homicide investigation, the Florida Highway Patrol report stated. This story is developing. Please check back for more updates.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
The revised data confirmed Japan had slipped into recession for the first time in 4-1/2 years, after a 7.2 percent contraction in October-December, pressured by last year’s sales tax hike and the US-China trade war. Recessions are defined as two straight quarters of contraction.On quarter-on-quarter basis, the economy contracted 0.6 percent in the first quarter compared with an initial reading of a 0.9 percent decline.Business spending showed gains after the finance ministry’s survey earlier this month, which was used to calculate the revised gross domestic product, drew fewer respondents than usual. Spending is expected to falter in coming months.Capital spending rose 1.9 percent from the previous quarter, reversing from a preliminary 0.5 percent fall. Private consumption, which accounts for more than half of Japan’s economy, fell 0.8 percent compared with the preliminary 0.7 percent decline, as solid demand for daily necessities was offset by declines in spending on services.Net exports – or exports minus imports – subtracted 0.2 percentage point from revised GDP growth, as the coronavirus slammed global demand.Analysts are forecasting the economy will suffer an annualised contraction of more than 20 percent in April-June as Prime Minister Shinzo Abe announced a state of emergency and requested citizens to stay home and businesses to close to prevent the virus spreading.Although the emergency was lifted in late May, the economy is expected to recover only moderately in coming months due to the pandemic’s sweeping impact globally and at home.The Bank of Japan is likely to maintain this month its projection that the economy will gradually recover from the damage in the latter half of this year, sources said.The BOJ eased monetary policy for two straight months in April, joining government efforts to cushion the blow from the pandemic. The government has compiled two stimulus packages worth a combined $2.2 trillion.Topics : Japan’s economy shrank less than initially estimated in the first quarter but the broad impact from the coronavirus crisis is still expected to send the country deeper into recession.A series of recent April data including exports, factory output and jobs figures suggested Japan is facing its worst postwar slump in the current quarter as the outbreak forced people to stay at home and businesses to close globally.The world’s third-largest economy shrank an annualised 2.2 percent in January-March, revised data showed on Monday, less than the 3.4 percent contraction indicated in a preliminary reading and compared with a median market forecast of a 2.1 percent drop.
The Hospital Roundabout in Letterkenny will be closed for nighttime roadworks from Monday 16th September to Wednesday 18th September.The four junctions of the roundabout will be closed to traffic from 7pm to 7am to facilitate Irish Water works.Motorists are being advised to allow extra time for their journeys as diversions are put in place. This “junction” Closure will close the;– De Valera Road approaching from Letterkenny Town Centre– Kilmacrennan Road approaching from Mountain Top– High Road approaching from Town Centre– Circular Road approaching from GlencarAlternative Routes:– Traffic approaching from De Valera Road going towards Mountain Top will be diverted via Ramelton Road R940 onto Ballyraine and Business park Road N56.– Traffic approaching from De Valera Road going towards Glencar will be diverted via N56 and onto Windyhall Road L1164.– Traffic approaching from High Road going towards Glencar will be diverted via Newline Road L5002-2.– Traffic approaching from Kilmacrennan Road approaching from Mountain Top be diverted via the Business park Road N56.– Traffic approaching from Circular Road will be diverted via the Glencar Road and New line Road L5002-2. Or Windyhall Road L1164Letterkenny Hospital Roundabout to close for nighttime works this week was last modified: September 13th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:letterkenny hospitalroad closureroadworksRoundabout
28 January 2014South African wheelchair tennis star Lucas Sithole claimed runners-up finishes in both the quad singles and doubles at the Australian Open, becoming the first African to reach the final of both events at the first Grand Slam of the year.Sithole faced world number one David Wagner in the final for the singles title, with both men sporting two wins out of three in the round robin part of the competition ahead of the title decider.Singles finalThe South African started strongly and convincingly claimed the first set 6-3. Wagner, though, responded immediately by running out to a 3-0 lead in the second set, but Sithole broke back to level matters at 3-3.Wagner again pulled ahead at 5-3, but once more Sithole levelled at 5-5 before Wagner claimed the next two games to take the set 7-5.In the deciding third set, Wagner broke Sithole early and went on to win it 6-3 to finish a 3-6, 7-5, 6-3 winner. It was his third Australian Open title.Wagner also teamed with Andrew Lapthorne to defeat Sithole and Dylan Alcott in the final of the quad doubles, winning 6-4, 6-4.‘Another milestone achieved’Sithole’s coach Holger Losch, who was named Coach of the Year at the South African Sports Awards for his work with wheelchair tennis players, said in a statement on Monday: “We are proud of Lucas for reaching his second Grand Slam final. It is another milestone achieved and the experience he gained is extremely valuable.“Lucas had a very successful Australian tour, winning both the Apia Sydney International Open and the Melbourne Open earlier in January this year.“We are excited to see what the year holds for our top South African aces Lucas Sithole, Kgothatso Montjane and Evans Maripa.“I would also like to thank our game sponsor Airports Company South Africa, who without their support, these achievements would not have been possible.”‘An inspiring performance’Spokesperson for Airports Company South Africa, Unathi Batyashe-Fillis, the game sponsor of Wheelchair Tennis South Africa (WTSA), said: “Airports Company South Africa congratulates Lucas on an inspiring performance.“The company is especially proud to see how its partnership with WTSA has developed and grown talent over the nine-year period since it started sponsoring the sport.“WTSA is developing world-class players and has put South Africa on the global map of wheelchair sporting talent.”SAinfo reporter
India’s World Cup campaign had gotten off to a poor start when they were handed a 6-wicket thrashing by New Zealand in their first ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 warm-up match on Saturday. It seemed their batsmen were still in the IPL hangover as they failed to put up a fight against a quality Black Caps pace attack in overcast conditions.Concerns were raised after the ordinary batting performance in Bristol and the talk over the No. 4 spot continued with the failure of KL Rahul in the absence of Vijay Shankar who was earmarked for the role due to an injury concern.However, India, it is safe to say, have proved all the doubters wrong with an emphatic performance against Bangladesh in their 2nd and final warm-up match in Cardiff on Tuesday. The dominance with both the bat and the ball should give the fans and, more importantly, the dressing a lot of confidence ahead of India’s World Cup 2019 opener against New Zealand, scheduled for June 5.Bangladesh won the toss and sent India in to bat and Virat Kohli’s men got off to a worst possible start in overcast conditions as they lost Shikhar Dhawan for 1 as early as the second over. Rohit Sharma also suffered a second successive batting failure as he was dismissed for 19.Rahul seals No. 4 spot?However, KL Rahul who got another opportunity to bat at No. 4 stepped up and delivered as he hit a classy 108 (99 balls). Rahul seems to have sealed his spot at the much-talked-about batting position which has been a cause of concern for India over the years.advertisementRahul stitched a handy 33-run stand with captain Virat Kohli (47) who looked in good touch before he was castled by a yorker from medium pacer Mohammad Saifuddin.Rahul then joined hands with MS Dhoni who showed glimpses of his vintage self. Dhoni showed no respect to the Bangladesh bowling attack as he was severe against them right from the word go.Dhoni shows glimpses of vintage selfDhoni launched into Bangladesh spinners Mehidy Hasan and Mosaddek Hossain as he hit sixes at will against the two offies. Dhoni brought up his hundred in just 73 balls and finished with 113 in just 78 balls.Dhoni had hit 7 sixes and 8 boundaries and stitched a 164-run stand for the 5th wicket which in the end proved to be a match-winning stand.Rahul, on the other hand, showcased a lot of maturity as he switched gears whenever needed. While he stepped on the gas when MS Dhoni had just walked in, he was happy to play second fiddle when the veteran wicketkeeper-batsman was going big in the middle overs.Hardik Pandya then played a handy cameo, smashing 21 from just 11 balls as India posted a mammoth total of 359.In reply, Bangladesh were jolted early by Jasprit Bumrah’s double strike in the 10th over. The India pacer came up with a perfect yorker to remove danger man Shakib Al Hasan for nought and shift the balance in favour of India early in their defence of 360.However, opener Litton Das and Mushfiqur Rahman added 120 runs for the third wicket. The duo kept India spinners and first-change pacers at bay but not for long as Yuzvendra Chahal triggered a Bangladesh collapse when he removed Litton Das for 73 in the 32nd over.Das tried to come down the track and hit Chahal over his head but the sun was shining bright and the pitch offered a bit of turn as the Bangladesh opener was beaten by spin and eventually stumped by MS Dhoni.Bangladesh lost 6 wickets for 47 runs as they went from being 169 for 2 to 216 for 8.Kuldeep Yadav seemed to have found his mojo back after a horror run in Indian Premier League 2019. The left-arm wrist-spinner picked up the big wicket of Mushfiqur Rahim for 90 and ran through the lower-middle order.Kuldeep was smiling in delight as he picked up three wickets, much to the relief of the dressing room.India win by 95 runs!Kuldeep Yadav was the pick of the Indian bowlers, taking 3/47 as India’s attack maintained control throughout the Bangladesh run chase. pic.twitter.com/obSXzkQppYCricket World Cup (@cricketworldcup) May 28, 2019Bangladesh were restricted to 264 in their chase of 360. India finished their dress rehearsal for the biggest cricket tournament of the year on a high, having found answers to most of the questions that had been nagging them in the lead-up to the quadrennial event.Also Read | MS Dhoni hits rapid hundred in warm-up against BangladeshAlso Read | Sourav Ganguly and John Wright reunite in commentary box, bond over banterAlso See:advertisement
See more NBA predictions All newsletters Big Number(s)46 percentThere are only six teams who are on the bubble for a playoff spot in the NBA right now. Three of them are effective locks; the Spurs, Jazz and Thunder each have a higher-than-97 percent chance of making the postseason. This leaves three teams jockeying for two playoff spots. The Pelicans and Timberwolves are in the best position, each projected to finish 47-35 and each with just over an 80 percent chance of getting in. But there’s still hope for the Denver Nuggets, who have a 46 percent chance of making the postseason. [FiveThirtyEight]Leaks from Slackchris.herring:Shoutout to @kyle’s timing this year. He’s had at least 3 stories in which a team or a player had a huge win that same night. Jokic last night, Blazers a couple weeks back. Good stuff, man.Predictions NBA Oh, and don’t forgetThis is a pro-Nikola Jokic zone haters go elsewhere We’re launching a sports newsletter. 🏆 Join the squad. Subscribe Things That Caught My EyeWoods and Nicklaus are the only draws in golfTiger Woods and Jack Nicklaus are the only two players where high finishes have a statistically significant effect on Sunday ratings for the Masters tournament. When Tiger finished in the top 10, the average rating was a 10.0, and when Jack finished in the top ten the average rating was a 9.5. [FiveThirtyEight]When Dinosaurs Ruled The EarthThe fullback position is a tough one in the NFL these days. For college fullbacks, they’ve got to make an argument they can also contribute considerably on special teams lest teams overlook them in the draft. This is just part of the position; fullbacks averaged 182.4 plays per season last year, while offenses averaged 1,015.7 snaps per season, meaning you’re only going to see a fullback on offense 18 percent of the time. With a 53-man roster, that’s a tough sell. [ESPN]Sleep; it’s important!I don’t mean to blow your mind with science, but athletes need adequate sleep in order to perform at their peak performance levels. Due to the nature of the NBA schedule and also the width of America, that isn’t always feasible. There were 54 games this NBA season where one team faced a significant competitive disadvantage because of scheduling. For instance, the Denver Nuggets played in Memphis, then left immediately and traveled overnight, then lost an hour en route to Cleveland where they played their third game in five days. Indeed, the Nuggets have been the victims of these “schedule alert” games more than any other team, six of the 54 total games. [ESPN]Try out our interactive, Which World Cup Team Should You Root For?Big Ten lost in Frozen FourThe Minnesota Duluth Bulldogs best out Notre Dame this past weekend to win the Frozen Four NCAA men’s hockey tournament. They were the distinct underdogs; Minnesota Duluth spent just $655,000 on men’s hockey to Notre Dame’s $1.6 million. [ESPN]College Football Playoff probably happens without a Big 12 teamWith Oklahoma sending Baker Mayfield to the NFL, the Big 12 will see its chances of sending a team to the College Football Playoff slashed to 26 percent, lower than any of the other Power 5 conferences. Part of this is that the Big 12 lives and dies based on Oklahoma’s disproportionate performance. The SEC has an 84 percent chance of sending at least one team to the playoff, the Big Ten has an 80 percent shot and the ACC has a 65 percent chance. [ESPN]Cavs should consider preventing the other team from scoring so muchThe Cleveland Cavaliers would ideally prefer to make the NBA Finals, but they have a tough time preventing the other team from scoring the ball a lot, a strategy that other teams have taken to calling “defense.” Yes, interfering with the capacity of opponents to score is, for 28 other teams, a higher priority than for the Cavs and their 29th ranked defense. If they want to beat the Raptors, Celtics or Sixers — again, all who make any attempt, however small, to stop the other team from getting points — LeBron James should consider it! [ESPN]
00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – For several years San Diego had major problems recruiting and retaining police officers. That ended last year by giving the cops a 30 percent pay raise.Then last November, the voters doubled the pay of the city’s elected officials, and now it’s the city employees turn.The city had to raise the pay for cops to keep the city safe, and if the city is to provide quality public services, it needs to keep qualified city employees who are leaving.Just as the police department had retaining and retention problems, the city is finding those same issues with employees who provide city services. A city auditor’s report says this puts the city at risk of low morale, less institutionally knowledge, and increased costs to train replacements.These money problems go back to the late 1990’s and 2000’s when generous pension benefits were granted without paying for them.Proposition B allowed for changes, including scrapping the old lucrative pension system in favor of a 401k style system, but now that’s in jeopardy. City of San Diego employees are leaving Steve Bosh Posted: February 4, 2019 February 4, 2019 Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter Steve Bosh,