Paid volunteer

first_imgRe “Getting paid to volunteer” (Nov. 17): L.A. taxpayers should object to city departments offering up paid services of public-employee “volunteers.” Isn’t the Housing Department confessing its head count is over-bloated and its staff are underutilized? How “essential” is a paid city service that the private sector will happily volunteer to do for free? Then there’s the matter of paid public support of a past president’s nonprofit enterprise. By association with the highest office in government, and the Democratic Party, this activity can’t help but convey political messages, intended or not. There are probably other reasons why taxpayer-paid “volunteerism” is simply bad policy. – Randy Ferman Los Angeles L.A. salaries Re “Salaries still soaring for L.A. officials” (Nov. 16): Council members accepting pay raises justify it by saying that it is automatic, in the charter, and tied to judicial raises. Isn’t it true that it was a city councilman who thought of this pay-raise scheme about 20 years ago and it was voted in by that city council? So any council member with a true conviction of their words who says that they shouldn’t be getting a raise now can get this system changed. Another part of this story pertaining to the budget is how many judges have been rewarded with that 20percent pay increase over the past two years. The claim that judges usually make far less than the attorneys appearing before them is about as surprising as knowing that the referees and umpires make far less than the baseball players they are judging. – Richard Fisk Granada Hills Suing EPA Re “Sue away” (Our Opinions, Nov. 13): You did the right thing in supporting the California suit against the U.S. EPA to reduce greenhouse-gas emissions from cars, producing “cleaner air and economic savings.” However, you also say, “We might be in the middle of an inevitable cycle of warming.” It is true that increased emissions from the sun are slightly warming the planet, but that effect accounts for less than 10percent of the observed increase in global warming. Science has proven the other 90percent is caused by human-related emissions, principally the burning of fossil fuels, but also from many other chemical and pesticide emissions, as well as from increased production of beef (which produces tons of methane). – Jim Stewart Sierra Club, Angeles Chapter Barry Bonds Re “Homer king strikes out” (Nov. 16): Having played baseball for many years when I was much younger, I know that hitting a baseball is not indicative of being big and strong, but of hand-to-eye coordination and exceptional timing. It is the same in golf. Steroids don’t enhance hand-to-eye coordination and timing. Natural ability and baseball knowledge do. Let’s remember who helped him develop these skills. They were his father, Bobby Bonds, and, of course, one of the greatest hitters of all time, his godfather, Willie Mays. OK, if he is indicted for perjury and/or obstruction of justice and he is guilty, he should be punished, but we shouldn’t take away his accomplishments because we think steroids enhanced these skills or the media doesn’t like the way he treats them. – Davis Brown Santa Clarita Depends Re “Judge orders O.J., 2 others to trial” (Nov. 15): Hopefully, the next 12 jurors won’t be fans of O.J. Simpson. – Susan Murphy Panorama City160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre center_img Lake View Terrace Layoffs? Why do Los Angeles department heads forget who pays the bills? We taxpayers do and we are very upset that these people encourage their employees’ time off to volunteer yet get full pay. No, no, no, that is not how it works. And if these department heads do not understand this simple premise, then get people in who do. Another thing that is obvious is if employees get time off to volunteer, then there must not be enough work to stay and work for the city and layoffs must follow. – Geraldine Thompson last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *