Australia doubts as Djokovic pulls out of Qatar Open

first_imgNew year brings new hope for Alaska after disastrous 2017 Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles02:44Djokovic wins Laureus Sportsman of Year Award00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City MOST READ Read Next Last year in Doha, he ended then world number one Murray’s 28-match winning streak to claim his second Qatar title in a riveting final.Djokovic was targeting Doha as his first match since his quarter-finals loss at Wimbledon in July this year.Austria’s Dominic Thiem, world ranked number five, has now been made the Qatar Open number one seed.The draw for the tournament takes place later on Saturday.Qatar Open tournament director admitted Djokovic ‘will surely be missed’. Kris Aquino ‘pretty chill about becoming irrelevant’ Serbian tennis player Novak Djokovic delivers a press conference in Belgrade on July 26, 2017.Twelve-time Grand Slam champion Novak Djokovic will miss the rest of the season with an elbow injury, he announced on July 26. / AFP PHOTO / POOL / ANDREJ ISAKOVICFormer world number one Novak Djokovic on Saturday withdrew from next week’s Qatar Open, casting doubt on his participation at the Australian Open later in January.Qatar is the second tournament Djokovic has pulled out in as many days due to a niggling elbow injury.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES 8th Top Leaders Forum assessed the progress of public-private efforts in building climate and disaster resilient communities Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Asian shares slide on weak Japan data; US markets closed The 12-time Grand Slam champion was top seed in Doha, but in a statement he said he would not be able to defend the title he won by beating Andy Murray last year.His withdrawal comes just 24 hours after the injury forced him to drop out of an exhibition tournament in Abu Dhabi.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over Thunder“Unfortunately, the situation with the elbow has not changed for the better since yesterday,” said Djokovic.“I still feel the pain. Therefore, I will have to withdraw from (the) ATP tournament in Doha.” BI on alert for illegally deployed OFWs to Iraq View comments Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Do not bring these items in SEA Games venues Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH The Serb added: “Only when I’m 100 per cent ready to play, I will be able to come back.“I hope it will be soon. I want to thank everyone for patience and understanding.”The latest announcement raises fresh doubts over the long-term future of the 30-year-old and more immediately his availability for the first Grand Slam of the season, the Australian Open, which begins on January 15.In recent years, Djokovic has used the Qatar tournament as valuable warm-up for the Australian Open.In 2016, after beating Rafa Nadal in the Qatar final he went on to claim his sixth Australian title.ADVERTISEMENTlast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *