South Korea has H5N1 in poultry after 3-year lull

first_imgNov 27, 2006 (CIDRAP News) – South Korea has reported its first outbreak of H5N1 avian influenza in nearly 3 years, on a poultry farm in North Jeolla province, about 100 miles from Seoul.The virus was detected in dead poultry on a farm in the city of Iksan that raises parent stock for broiler chickens, according to a report that a South Korean livestock official filed Nov 22 with the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE). The report said the outbreak caused 6,500 deaths among 13,000 susceptible birds. The results were confirmed at the National Veterinary Research and Quarantine Service in Anyang.The source of the outbreak is unknown, though Reuters reported that the farm lies on a bird migration route.The last poultry outbreak in South Korea occurred in December 2003 and prompted the culling of 5 million birds. No human cases of H5N1 illness have ever been reported in the country, but South Korea’s Center for Disease Control and Prevention said in September that five workers who helped cull poultry nearly 3 years ago showed evidence of past infection with H5N1 avian influenza, though they had not been ill.According to a report today in the Korea Times, the South Korean agriculture ministry has begun culling 236,000 poultry on six Iksan poultry farms. A 3-kilometer quarantine zone was set up around the outbreak site, and a 10-kilometer surveillance zone covers 200 poultry farms in Iksan, Sochon, and Kumgang. Authorities have also banned the sale and shipment of poultry, eggs, and related products from the area and have set up checkpoints to inspect trucks.Farms in the surveillance zone raise more than 50 million chickens and ducks, the Times reported.Several media outlets reported today that South Korean health officials plan on culling cats, dogs, and other animals such as pigs in the area to control the spread of the disease. The Associated Press (AP) said South Korea culled dogs and cats along with 5.3 million birds during its last outbreak in 2003.However, Peter Roeder, an animal health expert with the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), told the AP that he questions the validity of culling cats and dogs. “It’s highly unusual, and it’s not a science-based decision,” he said. “We’ve got absolutely no reason to believe they’re important.”Meanwhile, surveillance samples from apparently healthy birds on a farm 87 miles north of the outbreak site have tested positive for avian influenza, and more tests are being done to determine if the strain is highly pathogenic, according to another report today in the Korea Times. The virus was detected in a pair of chickens hatched from eggs purchased in mid November from a breeding farm in the Iksan area.Ministry officials told the Times that the highly pathogenic virus is unlikely because there have been no mass chicken deaths on the farms.Elsewhere, the H5N1 virus was detected in two turkeys that died in early November in Ivory Coast, according to an Agence France-Presse report last week. The turkeys came from a livestock camp at a village near Abidjan in the south. The country’s last outbreak in poultry was in May.Health officials told AFP that health and safety measures had been taken and that people who were exposed to the birds were under medical supervision.See also:Nov 23 OIE notice on H5N1 in poultry in South Koreahttp://www.oie.int/downld/AVIAN%20INFLUENZA/A2006_AI.phpSep 21 CIDRAP News article “Five Koreans had H5N1 virus but no illness”last_img read more

‘Crazy journey’: From double shark attack to Paralympic snowboarder

first_imgCarpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award “It’s been a crazy journey,” said the 26-year-old.“I am just really happy to get on the big stage, and try and show what I am capable of still doing now.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkPollard made it through the early heats in the snowboard cross, narrowly missing out on the quarter-finals.Even in a Winter Paralympics filled with hundreds of inspiring tales, from war veterans who lost limbs on the front line to cancer survivors, the Australian’s story stands out as remarkable. Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina LATEST STORIES Conor McGregor seeks to emerge from controversy in UFC comeback Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. UEFA charges Roma for ballboy’s timewasting late in game Recto seeks to establish Taal rehab body to aid community, eruption victims MOST READ Scarlett Johansson, Sterling K. Brown among SAG Awards presenters Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazilcenter_img “It’s been a fairly tough kind of ride the last few years,” he said.“It took me six months before I could put socks on again.”Sean Pollard of Australia rests after his men’s snowboard Cross SB-UL qualification run at the Jeongseon Alpine Centre in Pyeongchang on March 12, 2018. / AFP PHOTO / Ed JONESBut he picked himself up and got his first taste of para-snowboarding during a visit to a ski resort town in the Australian state of Victoria.During a subsequent trip to Canada, he happened to meet the country’s Paralympic coach, which further fired his interest in the sport. On his return home he contacted the Australian Paralympic Committee — and began in earnest the journey that would eventually bring him to Pyeongchang.ADVERTISEMENT Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown View comments Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew He says he feels grateful to them as the attack gave him the chance to travel the world taking part in sports events — and he ended up becoming a marine conservationist focused on shark protection.Another Paralympian to have lost a limb in an animal attack is Ukraine’s Vasyl Kovalchuk, whose right arm was torn off by a bear during a visit to a zoo when he was 11.He won gold medals in air rifle shooting at the 2012 and 2016 Summer Paralympics.Pollard has a message for anyone who finds themselves struggling to overcome such a trauma: just keep trying.“I think the biggest thing for me was I was not afraid to fail,” he said. “You’ve got to keep trying.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next In Liverpool, Man United sees the pain and path to recovery Sean Pollard of Australia rests after his men’s snowboard Cross SB-UL qualification run at the Jeongseon Alpine Centre in Pyeongchang on March 12, 2018. / AFP PHOTO / Ed JONESSean Pollard was surfing in Australia in 2014 when he was attacked by two great white sharks, losing his left arm and right hand and only just escaping alive.But far from wallowing in his misfortune, he threw himself into snowboarding — and just three years after taking up the sport, he made his Paralympic debut in Pyeongchang this week.ADVERTISEMENT Since November he has been travelling widely on the para-snowboarding circuit in preparation for the Games, competing in the Netherlands, Finland, Canada and the United States.As well as snowboard cross — which pits competitors in a series of heats and head-to-head races — Pollard is also competing in slalom. ‘You’ve got to keep trying’There are numerous different categories in para-sports depending on athletes’ disability, and Pollard competes in the category for people with upper limb impairments.With both hands missing, he is at a disadvantage even to other para-snowboarders. Snowboarders typically begin their runs by pushing off the top with a hand — but Pollard has to place his board sideways and jump out, giving him a slower start than his rivals.“It puts me to the back of the pack straight away, but that is the sport and I would not whinge about it at all,” he said.He is not the first Paralympian to have suffered a shark attack. South African swimmer Achmat Hassiem lost part of his right leg when he was mauled by one of the creatures in 2006.He earned the nickname “Shark Boy”, and competed in three Summer Paralympics, winning a bronze medal in London 2012.But Hassiem does not hold a grudge against sharks. Cabuyao City rising above the ashes through volunteerismlast_img read more