Thunder Bay Arts Council Celebrates 45 Years With Public Sculpture: ‘Departure’

first_imgAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisThe Alpena Aplex was full of music and dinner as the Thunder Bay Arts Council celebrated it’s 45th anniversary. The anniversary dinner was held to unveil the Alpena sculptured bikeway, walkway bicentennial project.This year the sculpture was themed “Departure.” Created by Ann Gildner, President of the Thunder Bay Arts Council, Tim Kuehnlein said the council wanted to leave a legacy with the new public sculpture to remind everyone that the arts is still important in the community.“Arts and culture grounded in the tourist industry are a must for any community that is multifaceted and diversified in the economic base. I think Alpena and Northeast Michigan get that. We will be there; we’ve been there from the beginning of this. Not just us, but art in the loft, the theaters, museum, NOAA. It’s really amazing what this community and this little part of northeast Michigan or I should say this corner of Michigan has to offer,” Kuehnlein said.A board member for over 7 years, Karen McConnell said the art in Alpena is truly unique.“I think it’s very unique that we have two theaters that we can go to. Our high school gives wonderful plays, and we have great shows. There’s always something going on in Alpena musically. The Besser Museum has so much wonderful things to offer and there’s so much going on that if you can’t find something to do, I think you’re not looking,” McConnell said.If you’re looking for the public sculpture the piece will be completed by September and located at the downtown bi path. The Thunder Bay Arts Council was founded in 1972 and is the longest art council in the state of Michigan.AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThis Tags: Arts, Bi Path, Happy Birthday, Thunder Bay Arts CouncilContinue ReadingPrevious Rogers City Student, Dy’Shauna Rutherford Wins 2nd Annual Student Film Competition: ‘BioDiversityIs-Unity’Next Avenue of Flags Coming Soonlast_img read more

‘Vineland Boys’ lead defendant gets life

first_imgThe lead defendant in the federal racketeering case against the Vineland Boys street gang was sentenced Monday to life in prison without possibility of parole. Rafael “Sneaky” Yepiz of Reseda, a leader of the Sun Valley-based gang, was sentenced during a hearing in U.S. District Court. Yepiz was convicted in October of 21 charges, including violating the federal Racketeering Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act, drug trafficking and money laundering. He was the last to be sentenced among the nine Vineland Boys members or associates brought to trial so far in the law-enforcement probe aimed at squashing the street gang. Authorities said the gang terrorized parts of Burbank, North Hollywood and Palmdale for more than a decade. Prosecutors said the Vineland Boys trafficked in cocaine, methamphetamine and marijuana in Los Angeles, Hawaii, Indiana and the East Coast. The group also is linked to four homicides, including the slaying of rookie Burbank police Officer Matthew Pavelka, who was killed in a shootout with alleged Vineland Boys member David Garcia, who is awaiting trial on murder charges. Meanwhile, trial for defendants Jose Ledesma, Raul Robledo and Javier Covarrubius, who face the death penalty in a 2003 witness-slaying case, is slated to begin in June. eugene.tong@dailynews.com (818) 546-3304 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Bloody Elbow

first_img Bloody Elbow More From Nightmare Matchup for UFC’s Biggest Stars White: McGregor didn’t like my comments about Masvidal being ‘too big’ for him King Ryan Longsleeve Shirt Apparel White on Nunes-Cris rematch: ‘That’s the fight I want to make’ Standard Ranked Rashguard Latest From MMA Warehouse Gloves Brock Lesnar’s WWE Future After UFC Retirement Top Contenders for Fight of the Year Lockdown duffle bag Good Night Tee ProMax 440 BJJ GI UFC 240: Fights to make UFC on ESPN: Covington vs. Lawler fight card Robert Whittaker hails ‘Wonderboy’ the best ‘outside fighter’ in MMA Accessories Timeline of Israel Adesanya’s Rapid Rise to UFC Contender Sale Standard BJJ Gi Greatest Highlights of Anderson Silva’s Career Latest From Our Partners Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira has seen it all in MMA. Nogueira has fought a who’s who of MMA greats including the likes of Mirko Filipovic, Fedor Emelianenko and Randy Couture. Now, at 37 years old, the submission specialist has had time to reflect on his career and it is no surprise to find out when he thinks was the best period of his career. Talking to MMAJunkie.com, the heavyweight reflected on his time in PRIDE.”I really miss that time. It was a wonderful time in my life, and I would not change a single thing that took place in the organization.””I think there isn’t much comparison (between PRIDE and the UFC); they are two different realities.Thank God I managed to become champion in both organizations, but of course I reached my apex fighting in Japan.””The high points were the victory over Bob Sapp, my first fight in Brazil [UFC 134], and [winning] the PRIDE and UFC championships.The lows were the various injuries I’ve had throughout my career. When dealing with some of my injuries, I didn’t know if I would be able to fight again.”Nogueira put together a 17-3 and 1 no contest record for PRIDE and held both the heavyweight title and an interim title for the promotion. He is currently 5-4 inside the UFC, which included a spell as the interim UFC heavyweight champion. He fights Roy Nelson in the main event of UFC Fight Night: Nogueira vs. Nelson which goes down on Friday in Abu Dhabi live on UFC Fight Pass. Conor lashes out at Herb Dean, says Khabib was ‘riddled in panic’ during bus attack Which is More Dangerous – MMA or Football? Gordon Ryan Competition Kit More:last_img read more