Jul 10, 2009US warns that China may quarantine children traveling aloneThe US State Department yesterday said parents planning to send unaccompanied children to China should consider postponing such trips until China changes its quarantine policies or the H1N1 flu pandemic subsides. The agency said some unaccompanied minors, including some under 10 years old, have been quarantined on arrival in China. It is nearly impossible to predict which travelers might be quarantined, and the US continues to receive reports of poor quarantine conditions, officials said.H1N1 case count in US tops 37,000The US tally of pandemic H1N1 flu cases has risen to 37,246, with 211 deaths, the CDC reported today. The numbers are up by 3,344 cases and 41 deaths since the last CDC report on Jul 2. Wisconsin led the list with 6,031 cases and 4 deaths, followed by Texas (4,463 and 21), Illinois (3,259 and 14), New York (2,582 and 52), and California (2,461 and 31).[Current CDC numbers]US flu activity down, but still above normalUS influenza activity decreased last week but stayed above normal for this time of year, the CDC said in its weekly flu surveillance report today. More than 97% of the influenza A viruses that were subtyped were the novel H1N1. Nine states still reported widespread flu activity, while 10 states and Puerto Rico reported regional activity. Five novel H1N1–related pediatric deaths were reported. The proportion of medical outpatient visits due to flu-like illness was below the national baseline.[CDC flu report for Jun 28 to Jul 4]Pigs vulnerable to novel H1N1 fluPiglets experimentally infected with the novel H1N1 flu develop symptoms and measurable immune responses, excrete virus, and can infect other pigs (but not chickens), researchers from Germany’s Friedrich Loeffler Institute report today in the Journal of General Virology. The findings echo USDA Agricultural Research Service data. The authors voice concern that the virus will become endemic in farmed pigs and ask whether human access to them should be controlled. [J Gen Virol full text]HHS details preparedness grants for statesThe Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) today announced state-by-state details of the $350 million it will grant states and territories to prepare for H1N1 pandemic and seasonal flu. State public health departments will receive $260 million, and hospitals $90 million. States receiving the most funds were (in millions): California ($22.7), Texas ($20.1), Florida ($15.5), Pennsylvania ($10.6), Ohio ($9.8), New York ($9.5), Michigan ($8.6), Illinois ($8.6), and Georgia ($8.0).[Jul 10 HHS press release]
The Northern Irishman notched eight birdies in a blemish-free round to sit one shot ahead of David Lipsky, Carlos Pigem and Hung Chien-yao. The five-time European Tour title winner was understandably delighted after setting a new benchmark at the Black Mountain Golf Club. “I’m very happy with that,” Hoey said. “I know the course is scoreable because there’s not a lot of rough, but the wind picks up and the last few holes were tricky today.” He added: “It has been a long time since I had a bogey-free card. I was talking to my coaches recently about throwing in double bogeys too often, so to be bogey-free and have no fives on the card and a course record is a nice start. “I putted well and it suits me that if you have a bit of length off the tee, you can cut a few corners and reach the par fives in two.” Lipsky, who will look back with regret on an eighth hole bogey, completed the trio behind Hoey on seven under by finding back-to-back birdies on the 17th and 18th holes. India’s Shiv Kapur is nicely poised just behind them on six under, while Englishman Matt Ford is one of eight in contention on five under after a round of 67. Kapur said: “You wake up in the morning hoping for a good day and I couldn’t have asked for a better result. It all comes down to holing a few putts and early on I managed to do that, which set the tone for the rest of the day.” Ryder Cup star Thomas Bjorn and t ournament ambassador Thongchai Jaidee are five shots behind Hoey but still in the mix if they can have a good weekend. Press Association Michael Hoey carded a course record 64 to lead the way at the True Thailand Classic after a low scoring opening day.
London: Manchester City are on the brink of a domestic treble, with only Watford standing in their way in Saturday’s FA Cup final, but a potentially historic season risks being overshadowed by several probes into the club’s off-field conduct. City became the first side in a decade to retain the Premier League title last weekend, holding off Liverpool by a single point at the end of a thrilling race thanks to a run of 14 consecutive league wins to end the season.Pep Guardiola’s men also retained the League Cup in February, the first leg of their potential domestic clean sweep, which has never before been done in England. However, the club have spent much of the week preceding the Wembley showcase responding to reports that they could be set for a season’s ban from the Champions League over alleged breaches of financial fair play rules. For all the Latest Sports News News, Football News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. The case was referred to UEFA’s adjudicatory chamber on Thursday to decide what sanction, if any, should be imposed. City replied, saying they were “disappointed, but regrettably not surprised” by the move from European football’s governing body. Reports by German publication Der Spiegel had alleged that City, bankrolled by Sheikh Mansour, a member of Abu Dhabi’s royal family, set up sponsorship deals to circumvent regulations limiting how much money owners can put into a club.However, that is not the only current investigation into City’s practices off the field. England’s Football Association said in February it was investigating allegations that City paid USD 256,000 to Borussia Dortmund winger and England international Jadon Sancho’s agent when the player was 14. FA rules state that young players cannot be represented by an agent until the year they turn 16.And the English champions could be hit with a two-window transfer ban by FIFA over the recruitment of foreign minors and alleged breaches of third-party ownership.”I’m not too much concerned or worried about what people say,” City boss Guardiola previously insisted when questioned whether the investigations threaten to taint his legacy at the club.”If we have made mistakes we will be punished — it is what it is, on and off the pitch — but I’m pretty sure what we have done is incredible.”